10.19.2009

By The Late John Brockman, John Brockman, 1969



A collection of quotes, sentences, and paragraphs commenting on Brockman's philosophies of life, nature, man, art, the mind, etc.

I
n Art&Language with Tom Adair spring 09 smester we learned about Wittgenstein and the importance and power of speech. Learning to choose words is necessary because what is said needs to be what is meant, otherwise one is just making noise. Brockman manages to manifest an entirety into a few sentences. His words are extraordinary in that each page of the book may only contain a sentence or two, yet so much is said. Eloquent prose of the expounded views of John Brockman.

"All these things. All these people. All these places. All this waste, this
garbage: it’s me. There was never anyone, anyone but me, anything but me,
talking to me of me. “When I dream and invent without a backward glance,
am I not . . . Nature?”

"It’s no longer possible to tell a story: life is a story. It’s a story, a narrative
series of pictures. A series of timeless tableaus, an infinitely successive
series of nows. But this can’t be. It isn’t. “A picture held us captive. And we
could not get outside it, for it lay in our language and language seemed to
repeat it to us inexorably.”* The world is finite: that means “it” isn’t. We are
free from the pictures and the lives lived in the mind are at an end. Words
are what matter."

"No more art, no more artists. Actions, not objects. Ritual, not possessions.
The real artistry is in deciphering the process of neural coding. This
navigation threads the way through the clues strewn around the environment
and sets processes in motion to allow patterns to reveal themselves."

This last quote is a personal mantra for me and my artwork this semster.

You can download the entire book as an HTML from this link
www.edge.org/btljb/btljb.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment