9.20.2009

Doppelgänger

The word "doppelgänger" has come to refer (as in German) to any double or look-a-like of a person. The word is also used to describe the sensation of having glimpsed oneself in peripheral vision, in a position where there is no chance that it could have been a reflection. They are generally regarded as bringers of bad luck. In some traditions, a doppelgänger seen by a person's friends or relatives portends illness or danger, while seeing one's own doppelgänger is an omen of death or results in immediate death upon the two coming face to face. In Norse mythology, a vardøger is a ghostly double who precedes a living person and is seen performing their actions in advance. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppelg%C3%A4nger)
This term is related to superstitions and can possibly be scientifically explained as an eye malfunction. I am interested in this term because it deals with the Twin which is in relation to Gemini which is my zodiac. On the Wiki-site related to "Doppelgänger" there was a story of Abraham Lincoln and seeing his own Doppelganger as an omen of death..
More importantly Doppelganger is realted to duality for me. There are dualities throughout nature and even in the human mind.
Is the sub-conscious the Doppelganger of the conscious? or the other way around?
I want to explore this and other superstitions that play into fear as psychological form of manifestation. I am very interested in the powers of the mind and how I can relate that into my artworks. I have also seen numerous shows on Abraham Lincoln and his superstitions, prophetic dreams, ghost stories, psychic premonitions, which I want to research LINCOLN now..

Also

I have come across a Griffin Davis who is a commercial Photographer in DC. He is technically skilled when it comes to lighting and his work is very clean and professional.
So, here is my dilemma... A talented successful working photographer in DC has pretty much stolen my existence.
Should I change my artist name? a psuedonym? an alternative identity? the evil twin..
I was thinking about protecting my name before I discovered my DC Doppelganger. I considered going by my middle name of Drew; Drew Davis.
I could keep my true identity of Griffin Davis more private.
For example, if someone called asking for Drew Davis I would know it was business related, but if someone asked for Griffin I would know they were someone I actually knew..
Griffin is a unique name and Griffin Davis is a very strong name, however I don't want to stomp all over this other Griffin Davis' namesake either. I will probably work out of DC in the future considering how close to home is...He was after all Griffin Davis before I was..
Check him out though. I want to contact him
http://griffindavisphotography.wordpress.com/

1 comment:

  1. What is this amateur hour? First off, i checked out his blog, he looks like a student. Which makes you guys on the same playing field. i dont think you have to change your artist name.i believe you should establish yourself first before you establish an alias..

    ReplyDelete