9.27.2009

Old Potatopatch

So I have been unable to do anything this past week due to what I believe was H1N1 and many numerous other miserable factors. Let me tell yall the story.

Since my last meeting with Jeff on 9-10-09, (I missed my tuesday meeting with Tom because that was the first and worst day of being sick) I had decided to take 4 images with my 4x5 so Arlie and I travel all the way to the mountains for a photoshoot at waterfall. I get my film back and it was fogged. I then reshoot, 35mm, the next weekend in Buckingham County at the James River State Park and CVS ruined that film. So Monday I create another collage piece since I had no film/images to show, but that night got a fever. Had a fever all day Tuesday, missed my meeting with Tom and missed an astronomy exam. Not only was I sick, but I had gotten chiggers again in Buckingham and my last wisdom tooth coming in is impacted. Its been a bad week.
While sick I obsessively looked at google maps on terrain and satellite views and discovered that if I zoomed in close enough it gave me names of all the mountains/ridges/hills back home.
For example, I always thought that the Wintergreen Ski Resort was on Wintergreen Mountain, but it's actually called Potatopatch Mtn. This triggered memories of dad talking about the mountains and hearing him mention potatopatch.
I want to explore this further. The names of mountains. I want to photograph the individual mountains from numerous views and angles introducing others to the mountains I know and love so well for their distinct character and their iconic ridgelines rising into our Horizons.

Another thing was the dreaming that came along with being sick. Monday night when I developed the fever I was buried deep in my covers, I was a MOUNTAIN. The folds of the blankets were my peaks and hollows and I was the core of the Mountain. I was being blasted by dynamite to build another Ski resort like Wintergreen and that was why I was sick. I dreamt I was old Potatopatch. I believe my next piece will illustrate this dream.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know where this will take you, but I think you should check this out, Peter Baldes, a professor here at VCU in the Printmaking Department did this virtual road trip.

    http://www.googlemapsroadtrip.com/

    WHOA on the dream. WHOA.

    ReplyDelete