2.15.2010

Artist: Richard Avedon






www.richardavedon.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Avedon

Richard Avedon is a very prominent and well-known American fashion Photographer. I am not going to repeat facts about him because it would be easier to just look him up.
Richard Avedon was one of the first photographers I was introduced to back in high school. Avedon was well known for his fashion photography, but I am drawn to his portraits. Richard Avedon has a marvelous ability to capture a person on camera and I am not quite sure how he did it. It seems to me that he took his subjects out of their environments and placed them in a studio under lights and exposed them for who they really are and the subjects left with nothing but themselves were therefore captured on film. The thousands of portraits of Marilyn Monroe are all soft and glamourous pin-ups, but Avedon's portrait of Marilyn appears as if the picture was taken when she wasn't ready and I perhaps think that is the genius of it. By capturing a photograph at a moment when Ms. Monroe was unexpectant, Avedon captured a moment when our actress wasn't acting, therefore taking an honest portrait of Marilyn Monroe. Again I speak of "Honest" portraiture of which I believe Avedon successfully creates/captures honest portraits of his subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment