2.04.2010

Idea: Teleidoscope

Last semester I was mentally in a weird place due to anxiety and stress. I was literally chasing dreams with my artwork. I was working in a very "Outsider Art" (self-taught artists, asylum art, folk art) influence by creating backwards processes of degrading my own work because I, at the time, felt mentally degraded. I produced some work that I liked and some work that, well, I don't feel as proud of, yet discovered some directions to take my work.

This semester I totally want to veer away from last semesters collaging xeroxes of my photographs. I am still interested in double exposures and want to find a way to incorporate that into spring work.

I purchased a 4x5 camera last summer and have shot with it several times, yet have only managed to produce one image that pleases me (Dad on the truck with the Kudzu) Spring semster is going to be perfecting and getting comfortable shooting 4x5.
I want to shoot portraits of people within landscapes. I also want honest imagery real people, quirky places, yet I want thiese new works to be able able to "hold hands" with my work from last semester.
Last semester, my works were recreations of prophetic dreams that were plaguing me,
dealt with strong conspiratorial symbolism,
the subconcious mind,
and memory.
The works were really off the wall, but not off the wall enough to "work." I was an educated art student trying to play the "outsider artist" but that was all..just playing...to really be an outsider artist you have to be obsessively inventive crazy and I couldn't go all the way with it. I wasn't outsider, at heart I am truly a photographer.

I plan on bringing some of my ideas from fall and incorporating/experimenting ideas with a 4x5 image.

ONE IDEA: that I have had for how to incorporate my midset from fall into a 4x5 was purchasing a large teleidoscope
A teleidoscope is basically a Kaleidoscope without the beads, instead it has a crystal ball, which turns the whole world into a kaleidocscope.
Using a 4x5 camera to photograph portraits through a teleidoscope would give me high resolution craziness in an image.
Each portrait would appear to be an abstract pattern at first glance but upon further inspection the viewer would realize there are 50 little portraits of the same person repeated over in intricate patterns.
I think that this would definitely relate/"hold hands" with my symbolistic/subconcious craziness from last semester. I am still considering the investment because a teleidoscope isn't cheap and it's been done before.....

No comments:

Post a Comment